This scrumptious, creamy orzo pasta dish with asparagus and peas is contemporary, brilliant, and lemony – the proper spring dinner. Plus, it’s vegan and dairy-free.
Creamy Orzo with Asparagus and Peas
This fast orzo pasta is a good back-pocket weeknight recipe while you wish to skip the meat and dairy. It has the identical creamy texture as risotto, solely cooked in a fraction of the time with no butter or cheese. The contemporary medley of spring asparagus and peas contrasts fantastically with the lemony, creamy base, however you possibly can swap it up with any veggies you want. Orzo is a enjoyable pasta form I usually use in recipes, like this Broccoli and Orzo and Orzo with Sausage, Spinach, and Corn. And for extra risotto recipes, strive my Asparagus Risotto and Instantaneous Pot Risotto with Peas.
This straightforward creamy orzo recipe is from Love and Lemons Simple Feel Good Food by Jeanine Donofrio. This recipe got here out scrumptious, and I don’t even like peas! In her new cookbook, Jeanine divides up every chapter with recipes that require “minimal prep and components” and people made with “meals ready forward of time.” I didn’t change a lot of her recipe aside from reducing again on the wine and making it 5 servings as an alternative of 4 because it makes lots. The serving sizes are nonetheless beneficiant, and I believe you’ll love how good it’s!
Creamy Orzo Components
- Leeks: Chop the white and lightweight inexperienced elements of two leeks.
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- White Wine: Select a good-quality dry white wine. When you want to not prepare dinner with wine, substitute vegetable broth.
- Garlic: Grate two garlic cloves.
- Orzo: Weigh 12 ounces of dry pasta utilizing a kitchen scale.
- Lemon: You’ll want lemon zest and juice.
- Asparagus: Trim the ends of the asparagus and chop the spears into one- inch items.
- Peas: Use frozen inexperienced peas.
- Garnish with contemporary herbs, like basil or tarragon and microgreens (non-obligatory).
Find out how to Make Creamy Orzo
- Leeks: Warmth olive oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium warmth. Add the leeks, salt, and pepper, and prepare dinner for 5 minutes till comfortable.
- Wine & Orzo: Stir within the wine and prepare dinner it for 30 seconds. Scale back the warmth to low, and add the garlic, orzo, and three cups of broth.
- Simmer: Stir, cowl, and prepare dinner for 10 minutes, stirring sometimes to forestall sticking. Uncover and stir within the lemon zest and a half cup of broth. Prepare dinner, stirring, over low warmth for a couple of minutes till the combination is creamy and the orzo is totally cooked.
- Blanch Greens: Boil a medium pot of salted water. As soon as boiling, blanch the asparagus and peas for a minute or two till tender and brilliant inexperienced. Drain the veggies and switch them to a towel to pat them dry.
- Season the Veggies: Put the asparagus and peas in a bowl and toss them with olive oil, salt, lemon juice, and pepper.
- Serve: Verify that the orzo isn’t too thick earlier than serving. In that case, stir within the remaining half cup of broth. Portion the orzo into bowls and high with the greens. Garnish with contemporary herbs, lemon zest, and microgreens if utilizing. Season to style and serve with lemon wedges.
What to Serve with Creamy Orzo
This creamy orzo risotto is a filling meal by itself, however you possibly can serve it with salmon, hen, or a side salad.
Find out how to Retailer Creamy Orzo
This creamy orzo will last as long as 4 days within the fridge. To reheat, microwave it till heat.
- Greens: Change up the greens with no matter you have got – Summer time zucchini or broccolini would even be pretty. You can even stir in contemporary spinach till it wilts.
- Protein: If you wish to add extra protein, strive the pasta with diced hen or shrimp.
- Cheese: High the creamy orzo with parmesan or feta.
Extra Orzo Recipes You’ll Love
Yield: 5 servings
Serving Dimension: 1 3/4 cups
Warmth 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium warmth.
Add the leeks, 3/4 teaspoon of the salt, and a number of other grinds of pepper and prepare dinner for five minutes, or till softened. Stir within the wine and let it prepare dinner down for 30 seconds.
Scale back the warmth to low and add the garlic, orzo, and three cups of the broth. Stir, cowl, and let prepare dinner for 10 minutes, stirring sometimes to forestall sticking.
Uncover and stir within the lemon zest and one other 1/2 cup of the broth. Prepare dinner, stirring, over low warmth for two to 4 minutes, or till the combination is creamy and the orzo is cooked by means of.
In the meantime, convey a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the asparagus and peas into the boiling water and blanch for 1 to 2 minutes, or till tender however nonetheless brilliant inexperienced. Drain, switch to a kitchen towel, and pat dry.
Switch the greens to a big bowl and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, the lemon juice, and a number of other grinds of pepper.
Earlier than serving, examine the orzo’s consistency. If it has thickened an excessive amount of, stir within the remaining 1/2 cup broth.
Portion the orzo into bowls and high with the vegetable combination. Garnish with contemporary herbs, lemon zest, and microgreens, if utilizing. Season to style and serve with lemon wedges.
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know the way you appreciated this recipe! This helps our enterprise to thrive and proceed offering free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 3/4 cups, Energy: 423 kcal, Carbohydrates: 64 g, Protein: 13 g, Fats: 12 g, Saturated Fats: 1.5 g, Sodium: 323 mg, Fiber: 6 g, Sugar: 6 g