One phrase to explain this recipe? GENIUS. Okay, and superb, luxurious, creamy, tacky, the entire issues.
A number of weeks in the past an thought popped into my head: what if I may cook dinner pasta utilizing certainly one of my favourite soups? Seems a soup and broth base makes for an extremely simple pasta bake loaded with wealthy brown butter, herbs, and melty cheese.
Thus, this excellent brown butter, ricotta & butternut squash baked bucatini was born! My favourite half about this recipe (in addition to the superb fall flavors) is how simple it’s to make. You actually add raw bucatini to your pan (sure, raw!), layer within the veggies and spices, pour in creamy butternut squash soup and broth, and cheese it to your hearts want.
I couldn’t cease sneaking bites after I examined it out and my total household devoured it proper up. That is assured to be certainly one of your new favourite fall dinners, and would possibly simply make the proper distinctive vacation important dish, too!
Every thing you’ll have to make this butternut squash baked bucatini
Tender pasta, creamy butternut squash, herbs, spices, and layers of deliciously melty cheese. This pasta bake really has all of it. Right here’s what you’ll have to make it:
- Butter: oh yeah, we’re browning the butter, child! Browned butter will get stirred proper into the pasta earlier than baking. You’ll additionally want some butter for the bread crumb topping.
- Pasta: I like utilizing bucatini on this recipe as a result of the noodles are just a little thicker than spaghetti. Bucatini noodles are additionally hole, so that you get further saucy goodness in every chew.
- Veggies & herbs: you’ll want recent garlic, yellow onion, recent sage, thyme, scrumptious cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice, plus some red pepper flakes (in the event you like just a little warmth).
- Butternut squash: we’re truly stirring butternut squash SOUP into this pasta dish to assist cook dinner it and provides it that scrumptious fall taste! I used Pacific Foods Creamy Butternut Squash Soup and it was excellent.
- Broth: you’ll additionally want vegetable broth or water to assist the pasta cook dinner whereas it bakes.
- Sweetener: just a little brown sugar or pure maple syrup brings out the sweetness of the butternut squash soup.
- Cheese: that is the place issues get actual good. We’re including ricotta cheese together with mozzarella and sharp cheddar cheese for many tacky taste (and an epic cheese pull alternative). I additionally like including just a little parmesan for saltiness. See beneath for different enjoyable choices!
- For the bread crumbs: you’ll want butter, sage leaves, panko bread crumbs, and salt for the toasty, herby bread crumb topping.
Can I make it gluten free?
Customise this baked butternut squash pasta
There are significantly limitless methods to make this baked butternut squash bucatini your personal! Listed here are some concepts to get you began:
- Add veggies. For a lift of veggies, I like to recommend stirring in recent spinach, kale, and even sauteéd mushrooms once you fold the cheese in.
- Strive a protein. You possibly can additionally fold in spicy Italian sausage, hen sausage, cooked, chopped bacon, and even cooked, shredded hen (or leftover turkey!). Be at liberty to serve these on the facet, too, in fact.
- Decide your cheese. I like the combination of mozzarella and sharp cheddar cheese, however gouda or spicy cheddar could be fabulous!
- Select your pasta form. As I discussed, I selected bucatini as a result of the form is ideal for sopping up the entire sauce and cheese, however you possibly can have enjoyable with different shapes like fusilli al buco, or shorter pastas like ziti, cavatappi, rigatoni, and so on.
The brown butter provides essentially the most unbelievable, wealthy, barely nutty taste to this butternut squash pasta bake and is simpler to make than you suppose! Get all of my suggestions and tips for browning butter on this publish and prepare so as to add it to actually every little thing.
Butternut squash baked bucatini made in a single pan
- Brown the butter. Begin by browning the butter in a medium pan on the stovetop. As soon as it provides off that scrumptious nutty aroma (and begins to brown) take away it from the warmth and set it apart.
- Prep the pasta. Add the raw (sure, raw!) bucatini to a 9×13-inch baking dish with veggies and herbs. Pour the cooled brown butter into the pan and gently toss every little thing collectively.
- Make the sauce. Whisk collectively the butternut squash soup, broth, ricotta, and brown sugar, then pour it over the pasta together with the comfortable spices and toss to evenly coat it.
- Bake, then cheese. Bake the pasta uncovered for half-hour, and whereas it’s baking, stir collectively the mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Take away the pasta from the oven, stir in among the cheese combination, and sprinkle the remaining cheese on prime. Bake it once more till it’s barely golden on prime, then add parmesan in the event you’d like.
- Make the bread crumbs. Soften butter in your unique pan, then fry up these recent sage leaves. Stir within the panko bread crumbs and salt till every little thing is good and golden.
- High & devour. Serve the pasta bake and prime with the toasted sage bread crumbs, further crimson pepper flakes, and flaky sea salt in the event you’d like!
What to serve with this baked butternut squash bucatini
Storing & freezing suggestions
- To retailer: retailer any leftover butternut squash pasta bake in airtight containers within the fridge for as much as 3-5 days. To reheat merely accomplish that in a microwave secure dish with a splash of broth or water.
- To freeze: add leftover bucatini to reusable freezer-friendly baggage or hermetic glass containers and freeze for as much as 3 months. When able to serve, let the pasta bake thaw within the fridge in a single day earlier than reheating within the microwave.
Extra pasta recipes you’ll love
Get all of my pasta recipes right here!
I hope you’re keen on this butternut squash baked bucatini! Should you make it remember to depart a remark and a score so I understand how you appreciated it. Get pleasure from, xo!
Brown Butter, Ricotta & Butternut Squash Baked Bucatini
Scrumptious butternut squash baked bucatini with wealthy brown butter, creamy ricotta, and layers of melted cheese. This simple baked butternut squash pasta cooks multi function pan and is nice for including your favourite veggies or proteins. High with toasted sage bread crumbs and benefit from the excellent fall-inspired pasta bake!
- For the pasta:
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 pound bucatini
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon recent thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly floor black pepper, to style
- Elective: ½ teaspoon crimson pepper flakes
- 3 cups pre-made butternut squash soup (I used Pacific Meals Creamy Butternut Squash Soup)
- 2 ½ cups vegetarian broth (or sub water)
- ½ heaping cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese (or sub gouda)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or sub gouda or extra mozzarella)
- Elective: ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- For the sage breadcrumbs:
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 sage leaves, very finely chopped
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 375 levels F.
Brown the butter: Place a medium pan over medium warmth and add 6 tablespoons butter. The butter will start to soften, crackle, after which finally foam. Be sure you stir always throughout this course of. After about 5 minutes, the butter will start to brown and switch a pleasant golden amber coloration on the underside of the saucepan, this normally occurs proper when it foams. Proceed to whisk and take away from warmth as quickly because the butter begins to brown and provides off a nutty aroma. Put aside.
Put together pasta dish: Add raw bucatini, garlic, onions, sage, thyme, salt, pepper and crimson pepper flakes (if utilizing) to a 9×13 inch baking pan. Pour cooled brown butter over the pasta, ensuring to scrape any extra bits off the button of the pan, then use your arms or tongs to toss the pasta and veggies with the brown butter.
In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the butternut squash soup, broth, ricotta and brown sugar (or maple syrup), cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice. Pour over the pasta and toss once more utilizing tongs to evenly coat the pasta with the sauce.
In a medium bowl, stir collectively mozzarella and cheddar cheeses.
Bake uncovered for half-hour then take away from the oven, and stir ½ cup of the cheese combination. Sprinkle remaining 1 ½ cups cheese combination on prime of the pasta. Bake once more for 20-25 extra minutes till the highest is barely golden brown. Take away from the oven and garnish with parmesan cheese, if desired.
Make the toasted sage breadcrumbs: In the identical medium nonstick pan you used earlier, add in 2 tablespoons of butter and place over medium warmth. As soon as the butter begins to soften, add within the sage leaves and fry till good and crispy, about 2 to 4 minutes. After the sage is good and crispy, add within the panko breadcrumbs and salt, stirring regularly till the breadcrumbs are good and golden brown, about 2 to 4 extra minutes.
Serve pasta instantly. High with toasted sage breadcrumbs and additional crimson pepper flakes & a pinch of flaky sea salt, if desired. Serves 6-8.
See the complete publish for suggestions, tips & methods to customise this pasta bake!
Serving: 1servingEnergy: 498calCarbohydrates: 57.1gProtein: 16.7gFats: 22.8gSaturated Fats: 13.7gFiber: 3.1gSugar: 5g